Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Time Trials






OK, so speed isn't necessarily the most important thing in art, but this is an example of a painting done in under two minutes on a moving bus.

In the late 80's I was on a bus tour of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales with Margaret, Evan and my parents.  I constantly found myself observing beautiful landscapes through the window of the moving bus. So I set up my little sketch book, a 4 x 5 inch mini, and my watercolors, and after looking at a landscape as we passed it, tried to memorize the details of a scene. In this case, a lovely rural landscape on the road from Edinburgh to Leith. This little exercise of taking "mind photographs", then putting them onto paper became a favorite pastime of mine on the trip and sharpened my observational skills. Try it. It's a fun exercise, but you've only got two minutes! 

3 comments:

crustypiman said...

Dennis,
Amazing! I really like this painting, and it is hard to believe that you did it in only two minutes! Of course, that's two minutes and a lifetime of painting and drawing experience that preceded this. It is still inspirational to me. I need to sit down and try to do something creative that takes 'only' two minutes. Thanks for posting. Quite nice.
Jimm

crustypiman said...

Dennis,
Amazing! I really like this painting, and it is hard to believe that you did it in only two minutes! Of course, that's two minutes and a lifetime of painting and drawing experience that preceded this. It is still inspirational to me. I need to sit down and try to do something creative that takes 'only' two minutes. Thanks for posting. Quite nice.
Jimm

Anesha said...

Hi Nice Blog .Whether you are Human anatomy , cramming for an exam, or just have a curiosity to find out more about what makes you tick, WinkingSkull is an amazing.